I read a total of 17 books, which is 12 more than my target this month.
- I read three graphic novels this month; The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, Volume 1: Squirrel Power, Nimona and Lumberjanes, Vol. 5: Band Together. They were brill, and made my work breaks 1000% times better.
- Next I picked up Alice Jones: The Impossible Clue. This was a fab mystery, with a heroine I adored, and I’m really excited to read more of this series.
- Then I read The Girl of Ink and Stars, and The Island at the End of Everything, both by Kiran Milwood Hargrave. Both blew me away. Great concept, gorgeous writing and a fast paced plot = my perfect books.
- My non-fiction pick of the month was Queen Victoria’s Granddaughters 1860-1918, which I listened to on audiobook on my way to work. I’m nosy, and love finding out interesting tidbits, and this was a really interesting look at the very different lives Vicky’s granddaughters had, although I’m not sure audio was the best format to listen on.
- I read the sequel to one of my fav books of last year, Moonlocket by Peter Bunzl. This was probably even better than Cogheart. It was unputdownable, I adored the new adventures we went on, and I’m very, very excited for the next book in this brilliant series.
- I also picked up a poetry collection–The Princess Saves Herself in this One. This was a quick, empowering read that made me immediately want to write poetry.
- One of my most anticipated reads of the year, The Hate U Give, was amazing. LITERALLY AMAZING. I cried when it was over, and I’ve rec’d it to everyone since. Just beautiful writing, and Angie Thomas is a talent and a half.
- I read a book that’s been on my TBR FOREVER, Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell. This was lyrical and magical and made me want to book tickets to Paris ASAP.
- My classic of the month was Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. Although I’m a Lizzie Bennet fangirl through and through, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this re-read. I also watched the BBC TV series and swooned over Dan Stevens.
- Finally, because I’m a creature of habit, I re-read the entire Percy Jackson series. I’ve re-read this every summer since I was about 13, and I love it. It’s funny, well written and has corny jokes.
- I was *meant* to read Mary, Queen of Scots this month for my non-fiction pick, but I just wasn’t in the mood! I’ll finish it sometime this summer.
- I drafted and re-drafted and re-drafted my query and synopsis, and got some very helpful feedback from friends.
- I polished my WIP, send it to some of my CP’s, and polished it some more.
- I was shortlisted for the Wicked Young Writer Awards! Check out mine, and all the other finalist’s entries, here.
- I started my dissertation *cue badly bitten fingernails*
- I went to my Writers’ Group, and snapped this bad boy on the way home:
I love a good sunset.
- I wrote an article all about panic attacks and how to recover from them for the babes over at The Olive Fox.
What I’ve been up to?
- As you can see, I got a lot of reading and writing done this month, and that was because I had a pretty bad hypermobility month. Dislocations and sore joints for weeks. Because of this, I missed some events and seminars I was really excited about. Although this sucks, my condition is all about ups and downs, and sometimes I just have to roll with it. Thankfully, I’m feeling a lot better now!
Blogs you need to read:
- Tania’s blog has become a must read for me. I just wish I had her styling ability (check out this wonderful outfit post here), and her tips on accessibility are so helpful for me–I know I get really nervous heading to new places because stairs are sometimes VERY scary for a person who’s knees like to dislocate!!
- I ADORED this post on Imposter Syndrome from the lovely Beth.
- If you’re a writer, check out this excellent post by Hayley on finding your voice.
I know, it's surprising that I'm reading yet another non-fiction historical book. #NOT #book #bookish #booklove #bookworm #bookishfeatures #bookstagramfeature #bookstagram #bibliophile #reading #amreading #history #historystudent #maryqueenofscots #antoniafraser #outdoors #flowers #bookphotography #booktography
One of my favourite people, @christina.fictionality, tagged me to do the #bookstack. Does a bookstack count if you're holding it?? Also, that expression on my face is pain, because I have ZERO muscles. The SHADES OF MAGIC series is on my Summer TBR this year. __________________________ #book #bookish #bookworm #booklove #bookstagram #bookstagramfeature #bookishfeature #reading #amreading #tbr #toberead #veschwab #victoriaschwab #shadesofmagic #adarkershadeofmagic #agatheringofshadows #aconjuringoflight #bookphotography #booktography #selfie