So I did it, I wrote 50,000 words in November. I would like to thank caffeine and a major lack of sleep for getting me here. It was all worth it to see the shiny WINNER email in my inbox and now I am happily reading ALL THE BOOKS I CAN GET MY HANDS ON.
This has pretty much been my life for the past three weeks:
So I thought I’d do a little update of sorts about writing/life. At ze moment, this is what I’ve written:
- VIOLET GLOOM AND THE CURSE OF DOWNCAST (MG FANTASY) STATUS: complete and querying.
- AL THE ALIEN (MG SCI-FI)
STATUS: first draft complete (!!!) at 28,000 words. I tend to write short and add 10-15k words in revisions.
- THE TIME TRAVELING DETECTIVE AGENCY (MG SCI-FI)
STATUS: currently writing first draft. I’ve got about 6000 words written of this and I am really enjoying it!
- I TURNED MY STEPBROTHER INTO A ZOMBIE (MG FANTASY)
STATUS: currently writing first draft. This was a spontaneous NaNo idea that is SO MUCH FUN! I’m hoping to get a very rough first draft done by the end of the year!
So, in November I wrote an entire first draft, and started two more books! YAY!
At the moment I am querying, which is simultaneously the most exciting and terrifying thing I’ve ever done. (SERIOUSLY IT’S TERRIFYING!!)
At the moment, it’s a waiting game that involves me checking QueryTracker twice a day and constantly refreshing my emails. I’ve done some amazing competitions and met some great people whilst on this querying journey and I feel like I have learned A TONNE!
I told myself that I would finish a novel and start querying it at the start of 2015, and I’ve done that. Whatever happens, querying this book and interacting with amazing agents has been an incredible experience.
The single most important piece of advice that I received when I started querying was write something else. I kind of had cold feet about writing anything new. I was terrified that this was it – that I was a one trick pony. But writing something completely new and different to the novel I’m querying kept my mind off of querying and allowed me to be creative.
So my goals for the remainder of November and December are:
- READ – I have so many unread books on my shelf that need some love!
- Rest and relax – after a hectic start to November, it’s important for me to get some R & R.
- See friends/family – when I write, I tend to get completely lost in my world, and I’m guilty of not paying enough attention to my family/friends. I want to prioritize them for the remainder of 2015.
- Continue querying & be POSITIVE. Don’t give up, or let one rejection ruin my day.
- *Try* and complete a rough draft of my zombie WIP
- Blog more – I really love blogging and I want to become a lot more consistent with it!
- BE THANKFUL – for all that 2015 has brought to me, for the lessons I have learnt and the challenges I’ve overcome. For my friends and family. For graduating Uni. For chasing my dream. For Harry Potter tops and red lipstick.