I am ashamed to see that my last blog post was a week ago, A WHOLE WEEK! Sorry guys, I promise that I will be a better blogger this week – my uni workload has just being so crazy that I’ve had no time to read books that aren’t law books! This week I will get myself into gear though, starting with one of my favourite book memes, Top Ten Tuesday. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Its a list of top tens and this week is the top ten favourite authors in your chosen genre. Probably unsurprisingly, my chosen genre is fantasy, my absolute favourite kind of book to read!
- J R R Tolkien – The father of modern fantasy, and the author of the book that made me want to read everything. My dad would read The Hobbit to me every night, and we would read it again and again. And yes, I do plan to go to the midnight release of the film dressed as a hobbit.
- J. K Rowling – A fantasy author list wouldn’t be complete without J.K Rowling. Like most eleven year olds I was convinced I was going to Hogwarts, and at nineteen, I am still hoping for a letter.
- Neil Gaiman – An author that I only discovered this year, but one that has become one of my inspirations, writing wise. His fantasy storytelling is, in my opinion, almost faultless.
- C. S Lewis – I was obsessed with finding a way to Narnia as a kid. His books are magical, and his writing style infectious.
- Terry Pratchett – I’m slightly obsessed with Discworld and Prachetts hilarious stories about them. He isn’t just making fun of fantasy cliches, he’s created a belieavble fantasy world!
- Roald Dahl – Although his work wasn’t exclusivley fantasy, many of his books have fantasy elements in them. He had such a great way of writing for children without patronising them.
- Catherynne M. Valente – I am slightly obsessed with Catherynne’s fairyland series, and her other books are already on my christmas wishlist this year. Whimsical and quirky storytelling at its best.
- Rick Riordan – I aboslutely love the world that Rick has created around Greek mythology. It is so rich in detail and imagination, and Percy is one of the most likeable main characters ever!
- Lewis Carroll – Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite books, and I love Carrolls writing – it is so original and crazy!
- Erin Morgenstern – A new author, but her debut novel, The Night Circus just blew me away!
There is my top ten for this week! Hope you enjoyed it!